Monday, February 25, 2013

A Chapter of Proverbs A Day

I am blessed to have such wise people around me. And that includes a lola (grandmother), who isn't really related to me, who imparted on me such great wisdom. Her name is Nanay Phyllis.

Nanay Phyllis already passed away a couple of years ago but her legacy still remains. I knew her since I was a kid because we go to the same church. She's the type of nanay (mom) who would always tag along pastors and church workers to go to mission trips and Bible studies. She also has this operatic voice which she uses to sing hymns at church and even when she's all alone. Although, she might come off too strong to some people, I guess that's just because she's a very strong woman - both inside and out. She's a very thoughtful nanay, too. I remember her for always baking banana bread and sharing it at church. It was not your typical banana bread. It was moist, soft and baked with a nanay's love. But what I remember most about this remarkable woman is her love for God's word. And I think that this is her best legacy.

When it comes to reading God's word, I always tend to plan that I will finish reading the whole Bible in a year...but I never really got to. A lot of things tend to go in the way - work, cooking, movies, Facebook, playing computer games, woke up late, etc, etc, etc. But I must say that these shouldn't really be getting in the way. I just got to have a fixed schedule. I have to prioritize. I must not think of it as a chore but rather an everyday date with my Father. And this is where Nanay Phyllis' great wisdom comes in.

During one of those Bible studies, I remember Nanay Phyllis sharing with us that she would read one chapter of Proverbs a day. She said that it is so easy to track reading Proverbs because it only has 31 chapters. If its January 1, read Proverbs 1. If it's February 24, read Proverbs 24. It was only till last year that I was really able to practice what she imparted with us. And that is when I realized that there is so much wisdom in what she shared.

The book of Proverbs, I think, is the most practical book of the Bible. It teaches us to be wise, how to live right, how to earn money, how to be blessed, how to fight for the just, how to avoid wrong doers and wrong doing, etc. It has so much wisdom that you will never fail to unearth something new every time you read it. It's refreshing and it always gives hope. But get ready to be rebuked, as well. Reading Proverbs has humbled me so many times.

I thank the Lord for Nanay Phyllis. I know that God is truly lifted up and praised with her life. I thank God for the wisdom that she shared with me to read a chapter of Proverbs a day. What she left with me is more than just a tip on how to read God's Word, but it's more of a seed planted in my heart to love and grow in God's word as I live my life everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment